Spring is nearly here and this makes it a great time to get out and enjoy some spring hikes. We are lucky here in San Ramon, we don’t have to go too far to find some great places to hike. In fact, there are plenty of hikes within an hour for all levels of hikers.
Spring Hikes within an Hour of San Ramon
Grab your shoes, a snack, and your water bottle and head out to one of these Spring hikes within an hour of San Ramon.
- Bishop Ranch Regional Preserve – Here in our own backyard you can hit up four different trails in one spot. These trails are easy trails and connect to make an enjoyable 2.48-mile loop. Into April you can hike along the seasonal creek, be sure to keep a look out for deer, red tail hawks and turkey vultures.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Regional – 30 minutes west of San Ramon you will find Martin Luther King Jr Regional Shoreline. 5 trails connect to make an easy 3.84 round trip loop. Enjoy the marshlands have been carefully restored over the last decade and be sure to check out the observation towers for a full look over the area.
- Leona Canyon Regional Open Space – This 920-acre sanctuary offers trails that are easy to moderate. If you want to take the full loop it is a 4.28-mile loop or for a shorter hike, you can skip the Pyrite trail. Plenty of shade and an abundance of bird life make this a great hike that is just 25 minutes west of San Ramon.
- Claremont Canyon Regional Preserve – Head north up to Oakland and within 30 minutes you can be hitting the trails at Claremont Canyon Regional Preserve. Beautiful views of the bay area can be seen from certain parts of the trail. The trail itself has some decent incline with steep areas, this is why it is rated a moderate to challenging trail. Take the 2.62-mile loop to hit all the trails and take in the views and wildlife.
- Del Valle Regional Park – 40 minutes south of San Ramon you will find 10 trails that connect to make an almost 10-mile round trip. The trails are rated challenging or difficult and most are exposed to full sunshine throughout the day. The lake and oak groves make this a beautiful park to spend a full day in, so be sure to pack lunch and maybe even dinner.
Why Try These Trails close to San Ramon
The great thing about these trails is they are not only within an hour of San Ramon they are also part of the 2017 East Bay Trails Challenge. That means that if you hit all 20 trails listed in the challenge, including these trails within an hour of San Ramon, you can claim your special 2017 pin. If you tackle all 20 trails within 2017 you are sure to improve your fitness while discovering your area. You can check out more information about each trail listed here and learn more about the remaining trails covered in the 2017 East Bay Trails Challenge.
This article originally appeared on Villa Properties’ blog at http://info.myvillaproperties.com/blog/spring-hikes-near-san-ramon.